Tuesday, May 29, 2012

International Day Against Homophobia...renamed by the State of Georgia

Link
The office of the Governor in the State of Georgia, issued a proclamation for IDAHO...International Day Against Homophobia, but first, got the date wrong, and changed the title of event. Corrected the date, but left the renaming unchanged.

The Ga. Voice;
http://www.thegavoice.com/blog/politics/4635-ga-gov-nathan-deal-supports-mistreatment-awareness-day-but-not-a-day-against-homophobia

I am a resident of Georgia, and have been since 1995...the office of the Governor belongs to the people, and the people have the right to call, visit, and question all actions that come from it.

I attempted to do just that, after 1. receiving a letter of welcome for the second year in a row from the office of the governor. 2. I called and asked why the proclamation was denied again, since this year I met all the requirements for requesting the proclamation. 3. Last year it was explained that I failed to meet the 45 days advance notice of event by 2 days; this year that was not the case, so why not a explanation for denial. 4. I spoke to Alan Fox, the Editor for the Governor, he said that I would receive a proclamation...I asked if it would be in the form submitted, with the Whereas clauses as indicated in the request. The answer was 'yes'.

I received a proclamation pretty quick after that first conversation with Mr. Fox, much to my alarm, and dismay the proclamation had been altered...new event title, and none of the Whereas clauses were included. In fact by reading the proclamation you would never know that this document addressed 'Homophobia'; not once was the word Homophobia used, not once was there any indication that Homophobia, is dangerous, that it is lethal, and that it kills. Not once was there any indication that the state of Georgia would protect the lives of its residents, regardless of sexual orientation/gender identity. Not once was it implied or assumed that Homophobia is a result of fear and hate, based on myths and lies, caused by ignorance, misunderstanding and misinterpretations of holy scripture.

Okay, so Governor Deal ran the most homophobic election campaign in history of the state of Georgia...okay...he is a Repug...okay, he is a bible toting christian, okay...he is the Governor of a Red State...that has a constitutional amendment that prohibits same-sex marriage...okay...so...

Isn't it possible for the God fearing man...Nathan Deal to evolve...and simple catch up with the rest of the nation...but wait...I digress...let me finish my story before I lament on the humanity of the Governor...

After receiving the proclamation...which left me in a state of disbelieve...actually seeing this document...I urgently called the Governor' office again...again I got Alan Fox, Editor...who in turn referred me to Stephanie Mayfield, Press Secretary, after I could not get a reasonable answer to my question 'Why was the name of a International event changed'...I never received a reply to this question...but in the interim...I spoke to unknown female, who I assumed was the receptionist. Twice I left my number for a return call from Stephanie Mayfield, never a return call...I called as Press...to get a statement to my question, no reply from Stephanie Mayfield...but I did get a gentleman, named Brian Robinson, communication director, who asked me 'why are you calling this office'...I explained...but he still wanted to know why I was calling the office of the Governor. I proceeded to tell him that the office of the Governor belonged to me...as a resident of Georgia and a taxpayer...he proceeded to ignore my question...I asked as media...and again ignored and he hung up...I called back...got the receptionist again...and again I asked my question...requested a official statement...and the reply 'we are not talking...we're finished' click....

So..as a resident of Georgia, as a taxpaying citizen, as the organizer of event, and as media the office of the Governor decided that I was of no consequence...and that I did not have the right to ask the question, 'why was the name of an international event changed'...nor did I or the citizens of Georgia have a right to have the state of Georgia proclaim, May 17, 2012 as Georgia International Day Against Homophobia, to educate against hate, and fear and the dangers that is instilled in our society; the lack of basic humanitarian conduct, to protect life. Yet the City of Atlanta, Fulton County and the House of Representative...declared...and proclaimed May 17, 2012 to be recognized as Atlanta International Day Against Homophobia, and joined the world in acknowledging that all life is sacred...opposed to....

The Governor' Office...that has failed to protect LIFE...and the pursuit of happiness...that all people are equal...in the eyes of the law...and of our God...

No comments:

Post a Comment